THE GHOST OF MY FATHER


I’ve never thought life would be hard, I never thought anything of it as a kid. I just always remember I felt I had to prove myself to my family. And it wasn’t to fit in, it was to be accepted.
I once had a good father in my life, I was closer to him more than my mom. He was always there. But things changed. He went ghost on me. Nothing was more painful than to have a dad that didn’t want me no more. How can a man kick his family out of the house to move in with a drug addict girl with 3 kids. One of the kids happened to be my half-sister. It hurt me when he promised to pick me up and take me with him, and he never showed up.


I moved to Pomona and never thought I would witness such violence, abandonment, drugs, gangs, and sleepless nights because I was worried that someone would shoot up my house. I was always vulnerable as a kid, as I got older I never thought I would become the person I was. I was selling drugs and stealing. I just remember the time I sold my uncle meth when he looked at me from the back seat of his car. That reminded me of myself as a kid when my dad was picking up drugs.  My dad would always lie to us. He would say “I am just stopping by, this guys sells me things for cheap.” This was going on most of my high school years.


But there came a time when I met a mentor and I ended up stopping by youth circles. I liked it. I ended up getting real close to the guy, he was all into God and I never really met someone with so much faith unless they were using God as a mask to hide who they really were. That relationship changed my life and I thank him for that. He’s the older brother I never had, he’s family to me. I’m still a work in progress, but I hope he will stand by me as I strive to succeed. That’s a bit of my story. Peace


Written by

17 yr old male- Pomona Youth

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Example - Teaching Children to Lead

Making A Change For The Better