WALKING TREES


The city owns you after dusk
You sleep as one of its own
The elephant in the room has
No room to roam no trust or tusks
Just skin and bones

The scent of discontent of
Continents adrift collide in the neap
Tide of her tears inside

What are we but walking trees? Seeking
Roots to run deep
Sesame Street has a dark side
Count 1-2-3 we weep and weep

Yet

What are we but walking trees? Standing
On every street corner
While they throw shades and blades our arms stretch out
In preservation
Our roots run deep with hope

Every playground is surrounded
Laughter rides on the backs of butterflies
3 O Clock the trees stand in watch
Backpacks carry our future home

Written by John David McKellar
John David McKellar has lived in Pomona for 14 years. His three daughters (and wife) are/were all PUSD students. Over the years his heart has been broken for our youth in the city. He served as a youth pastor for over 10 years and now serves as a Mentor Supervisor for Just Us 4 Youth. He has hope for our city as youth continue to seek mentorship and education as a way to escape the destructive cycle of the inner city. John sees himself as a mature tree, deeply planted in hope watching out for our students. He encourages the community to be “the forest” which offers the preservation of hope and safety of the city.
_______________________________________________________________________________

My JU4Y story started when I was in the eighth grade. At that time I was at Emerson middle and I seemed to always get into trouble. Everyone saw me as a problem kid that couldn’t be fixed. One day I got into a fight and the counselor put me in an all girls group to talk about my problems. I did go to the group for about two weeks until they switched me into a different group at a different time. It turns out that the first day of the new schedule they had placed me in the same group as the person I was having problems with. Once that happened, I stopped going. The mentors that I had were amazing, it was just bad timing.

Some time passed, about a year went by, and I am now in my freshman year at Palomares Academy. I got reconnected with JU4Y’s programs and I felt as if it was a Godsend. It was a fresh start with some amazing mentors. I honestly wouldn't be here today with the same positive mindset about my life and future if it wasn’t for my mentors. They have helped me with pretty much everything. It is a good place to go after school, I call it my happy place. They help keep kids like me out of trouble and off the streets. They just want what is best for us. JU4Y even has open gym on Sundays just so they can keep us off the streets and away from the negative things.. They try to push us to our full potential because we can do better.

Being a part of a group like this helps me to have hope, hope that I can prove that I am not bad kid and that I can turn it around. My life has changed in so many ways, these mentors are the best people to talk to when nobody else will listen. They are here to help us not because they have to, but because they want to. Through these relationships I’ve learned to stop pushing away those away who really want to help me. 

JU4Y teaches us to work together not tear each other down. They’ve taught me that I can go out and help others because I have the ability to do it. I can do this from the kindness of our hearts. We are taught to stand out not fit in. I think God has made each and everyone one of us different so we can stand out and do different things because we can teach others the things that they don't. We are all here for a reason. We are all in Gods painting, and He definitely isn't done with it yet.

I am so thankful to be connected with JU4Y because they are always there for me through thick and thin. It is like when you get connected with us, we become one big giant family and that is something that I haven't had is a long time. A truly meaningful family. Once I get close with people, I tend to not care too much about them because I have had too many people come in and out of my life. These amazing people at JU4Y would never do that because they care too much.

Written by Hennessy Woods
Palomares Student

Comments

  1. Let me know if you guys like the story i wrote and what you all think...and if i should blog other stories that i have. Just want to say thanks to JU4Y for pushing and encouraging me to write this story for the blog. Thank you all for reading my story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Example - Teaching Children to Lead

Making A Change For The Better