A SECOND CHANCE


Roaring winds, soft breeze, rock cool beneath me, I’m surrounded by trees taller than buildings. Slipping into a trance and letting my cares, fears, and worries drift away with the wind. Captivated by the sunlight as it hits these pages. Reflecting back to that split second where I felt an instant revelation in a foreign land. It was a place where I was welcomed with open arms and smiles. To be completely honest these foreigners made me feel human again. This is the place in my life where some would define as “experiencing a supernatural calling.” Before this trip I had no sense of purpose or what type of job I wanted to pursue. On this particular day this calling was so profound, although I still questioned myself ...Is this real? Is this a fantasy? My hopes and biggest aspirations seemed light years away. Is this my purpose? Am I called to lead wandering souls to the right path? Why me? How am I going to impact others, and give sound advice to the youth if I was in the same boat? I was ashamed of my past and wasted many days and nights. I was once lost, trapped in the darkest hole, spiraling out of control and always pursuing the tunnel which led to destruction.


But, I had to put my doubt, failures and pride aside.  I could no longer go down that path. To do great things I was going to be in uncomfortable positions and I was going to encounter people that needed me for support. Once my vision became clear I could see that same darkness in others, the darkness I had turned away from. They have lost hope, faith, joy, love, trust, and motivation. They were blinded by the curve balls that life was throwing at them.


My purpose is greater than myself, I had to become selfless, patient, humble and show compassion in order to fulfill my calling. Being a mentor has changed my life 360 degrees. I am not perfect but, I have a passion to serve the youth and now I wake up every morning with a purpose and I'm living on purpose. I hope to be a bright light to guide the youth through the long road called LIFE.
Written by Deanna
JU4Y Mentor
_________________________________________________________________________________

"What's the point of doing it when I don't have the desire to do it?" This was my thought during my last conference while my principal and teachers were grilling me on my poor grades. I don't tell people I am going to try my best when I know I'm going to lag. I mean I know the material, I'm not stupid, I just choose not to do it. It's as simple as it. That is until recently. My mentor recently told me, "there are people in this world who wish they could do what you don't do." I thought, f*ck it, I'll make something out of myself eventually so why don't I just start now. I looked at my surroundings and the people around me and realized that many didn't have it as easy as I did. I mean my life isn't perfect, but I do have a some things that my friends don't. A father, a mother, a home, clothing, enough food in my stomach. Realizing this motivated me to try my best from now on. Getting better grades now makes me feel like I can accomplish anything, which is something I didn't feel before. I used to think studying made me look like a weirdo, but in other people's eyes I seem smarter. I now realize giving your all and your best is to the key to success!
Written by Kathy
Palomares Academy Freshmen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Example - Teaching Children to Lead

Making A Change For The Better