An Outsider's Perspective


My name is Jay Cummings. Only 20 minutes away at Azusa Pacific University, I have spent these past three years studying in complete ignorance of the pain and suffering that some of the urban youth in Pomona experience on an everyday basis. 

Where I grew up, “coming from a broken home” simply meant that a kid’s parents had been divorced and they had it hard at home. Unfortunately, some of the students that come to JU4Y come from places like these. I distinctly remember driving away from internship one day where a student was left crying in the middle of the parking lot because she was so scared to go back to the place that was supposed to be called home. I don’t know that she has ever known what a home is truly meant to be like. Many of us have been raised to believe that home is a place where we can find refuge, rest, and relationship. Over the course of these past few months, I have come to realize what a luxury this really is. I remember sobbing in my car out of anger and frustration. I felt helpless.

My heart was broken. Just as broken as these students images are of what they call “home” or “family.” This is where JU4Y comes in. We are much more than just an after-school program that helps kids with their homework. We are much more than just a distraction to keep kids busy and off of the streets and out of trouble. Just Us 4 Youth is the home and family that a lot of these kids have never known. We are familiar faces that come every day to take care of those who feel forgotten. We are the stability and consistency that many of these students have never had. 

Many of these kids are told by their parents and in school that they are “bad.” I have come to love and appreciate one of JU4Y motto’s that “there are no bad kids—there are just kids.” Unfortunately, some of these kids are conditioned into believing the lies that they are told by those around them; that they only cause trouble--that they’re worthless. Yet, people wonder and scratch their heads when they see the suicide rates among youth sky-rocketing. In reality, these students need to be told the exact opposite. They need to be reminded that they are worth something—that someone cares about them. 

I know who these youth are. The youth are the future. I hope that you will join me in reminding them of not only who they are—but who they are meant to be. They are the people that will work our jobs, they will help raise our kids, and they will also pass the torch from their generation off to the next. That is why JU4Y exists. We want to invite these students into our family where we give them our love, our time, and instill in them good values. We hope that in turn, they will do the same to those around them. 

Real change is created not by correcting behavior but through cultivating one’s heart, mind, and soul. Recent studies have revealed that the number one indicator of success, is love. I hope that love continues to rest at the foundation for JU4Y, taught by the mentors, encouraged by the donors, and felt by the youth. I am proud of these kids and I am proud to say that I have had the privilege of working with JU4Y. 

For those of you thinking about volunteering, partnering with, or donating to this organization let me be the first to tell you that you won’t regret it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Example - Teaching Children to Lead

My Teaching Journey