Baskin robbins, roller coasters and gangsters


Baskin robbins, roller coasters and gangsters

It was a Tuesday...I was about to drive home after a long day of work. I had just finished up a day spent with youth in my city. I sat with them, talked with them, and listened to their stories about suffering, gang life, and the woes of the inner city. Hearing their personal stories once again rocked me into the harsh reality of their lives. I was blown away. By the end of the day I was emotionally exhausted from listening and my heart was shattered. I felt my emotions begin to well up as I was walking to my car, and after using whatever strength I had left to climb in, I paused and took a deep breath. I buckled my seat belt, and then completely broke. Every time I closed my eyes for a moment all I could see was the innocent faces of those teens. I couldn't help, but hear the silent cry of "SAVE ME," as I peered into their eyes.

The sad truth was their lives were shattered because of the dysfunction of those around them.  They didn't deserve this. They were innocent bystanders of massive train wrecks. And the worst part was that the tragedies that had occurred sent their lives into a downward spiral of pain, hurt and rejection that would forever scar their lives.

I couldn't shake it off. Not that day. I couldn't disconnect! I finally composed myself enough to start my drive home, but as I was driving, street after street, I looked out of my window and saw many of the same youth that I had met with that day. They appeared downcast, heads down, walking slowly as if they were purposefully prolonging arriving home. I knew they lived in poverty stricken, abuse filled, drug addicted, gang infested neighborhoods, but I was headed home to my safe, loving enclosure. I knew they had nobody, and I had many I could count on. I knew they probably wouldn't eat, but I was about to smash on some carne asada and arroz. I knew they wouldn't have a bed to lie in, but I was going to snuggle into my King size bed that night. I knew they didn't have clothes, but I was gonna change 2 more times before sleeping that evening.

All of this made me slam on the brakes and swing back around. I pulled over each time I saw a teen walking home and asked them, "where are you going?" and "what are you going to do?" The response I received each time was, "nowhere and nothing." So I invited them to join me for dinner and spend time with my family. Every single teen agreed to join me. I urged them to call their parents and get permission, but I heard, "they don't care what I do" and "naw, they're not the kind of parents you think" or "they're in the streets." Each attempt to call failed as parents didn't want to be bothered, couldn't be reached, or even cursed them out for calling. Some parents even ignored their calls repeatedly, purposely. I took a chance and still took them with me.

When we arrived my family graciously welcomed them and treated them like special guests. They ate like they were starving and made comments over and over about how clean, spacious and quiet my home was. After dinner, one student sat on my couch and fell into a deep sleep. We all hung out talking, all the while this young man snored a tune aloud for all to hear. The night was getting late so I offered to take them home, but not before making one more stop, BASKIN ROBBINS! When I suggested we stop at BR they unanimously said, "What is that?" I was flabbergasted! I replied, "You're kidding me!? You've never been to BR!?" They again replied unanimously, "No!"

I realized then, these youth were so deprived of even the most simple opportunities,  even enjoying an ice cream from Baskin Robbins.  I bought every teen a single scoop and it made their day! They scarfed down the ice cream and I proceeded to drop them off, one at a time. As we left BR I asked one more key question..."Have you ever been to an amusement park?" "Have you ever ridden on a roller coaster?" Again, they all replied, "No!" I then made a promise, to take each of them to an amusement park so they could enjoy the liberty and joy of being a child! They were happy to accept my promise!

This story is one of millions that I have over the last 15 years of inner city youth work. I hope to use this blog to give voice to the marginalized. I pray this blog opens the eyes to everyone who reads this so that they would see the harsh realities of the children in our cities. Finally, I hope this blog simply brings a smile and happiness to all who read!

Thank you!

Eric Vasquez
Just Us 4 Youth
Executive Director
eric.ju4y@gmail.com
justus4youth.org
ig, snap, fb- @justus4youth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Example - Teaching Children to Lead

Making A Change For The Better