THE VOICE OF A MENTOR



THE VOICE OF A MENTOR

Growing up in Pomona, was always mixture of emotions, from good and bad, and happy to sad; as cliché as it sounds, there were a lot of smiles a lot of cries. I was always the kid who knew I had the potential to do something great or change my life with the right guidance; but wouldn’t be shown until later in life. After getting involved with JU4Y, becoming a mentor and learning the duties that come with being one, I realized that mentorship was everything I needed growing up, and that know I was put in a position to be the person I needed when I was younger.

Being a mentor is more than a job for me, it’s an opportunity filled with responsibilities. Mentoring gives a mentor the opportunity to shape young person’s life, provide them with the tools necessary to better themselves and the lives of others; mentees also learn how to keep healthy relationships, healthy boundaries and receive positive opportunities that wouldn’t receive from anybody else. Being a mentor is not an easy task, many of us like the children we oversee, have gone through trauma, abuse, depression or have felt the pain of abandonment; through these wounds from the past where are able to connect with the wounded, and simultaneously deal with our emotions as we help them with theirs.

I have been mentoring for about two years now, and the process wasn’t an easy one, there were moments were I lost focus, got discouraged and asked myself if this was the right job for me; I would feel pressure from the staff at the campus I was working on as a mentor and pressure from the artistic life I lead outside of mentoring. I started doubting myself since my students, kept making the wrong decisions after all the talks, workshops, opportunities and making myself available in every way possible. In moments like this, it’s important for us mentors to know what our “why” is. I now know mine and it drives me forward with passion and fervor. So let me ask you today, do you know your why? Why are you involved with your organization? Mentors, why do you want to mentor? Why is mentoring important? There are moments that will shake you and test your commitment, but it only takes one affirmation, one good circle, one reconciliation, a good one on one session with a student that finally shares their history of trauma; that reignites your flame and reminds you why you took on this job and why you are doing your best at this position.

 Mario Gonzalez aka Hope On- Point Coordinator

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Example - Teaching Children to Lead

Making A Change For The Better